Friday, July 15, 2011

Welcome back!

It has been a busy few weeks with the most exciting development being that I have quit my job as a teacher to focus on creative pursuits. Much as I love teaching, it sucked me dry in terms of energy and creativity and the time had come to move on.

Last evening I attended the unveiling of Barbara Van der Linden's portrait of Canberra designer Frank Arnold. Barb is engaged in an epic portrait painting project which will culminate, in 2013, in an exhibition of 25 portraits  called 'Faces of Canberra' at M16 Gallery. The exhibition will be part of Canberra's centenary celebrations.

The whole portrait can be seen here.  The portrait is very strong and created a terrific impression. It was unveiled by Frank's mum who charmed the assorted arty crowd with her direct and loving take on life as Frank's mum.

The venue for the unveiling changed at the last minute to the M16 Gallery and, while there I looked at an exhibition by Elisa Crossing. Many large paintings, mostly of interiors without people or anything living in them, so far as I remember. Some of them have the curious quality of following one around the room and invited one to enter and explore. Very interesting.

On that note, off to the studio...

No comments:

Post a Comment